Many business owners who work with digital advertising agencies still want to write some or all of their own website content. Your agency can set up a Content Management System (CMS) for your website that makes posting on your website just as easy as writing a letter in a Microsoft Word document.
Website users have different expectations than, for example, magazine readers. If you decide to write your own website content, keep these tips for writing website content in mind.
- Use short paragraphs. Two to three sentences is ideal.
- Tell readers the ending first. If you start with the end of the story, you’ll already have made your point no matter when users leave the page.
- Offer help. Website visitors will steer away from blatant sales pitches.
- Use headings, bullet points, and numbered lists. Break up your text so readers won’t feel overwhelmed.
- Proofread. Grammatical mistakes and spelling errors diminish your credibility.
- Include links in moderation. Use them to direct your website visitor to the next appropriate step.
- Enhance text with images, video, and interactive tools. Give your readers every opportunity to engage with your brand.
- Make it easy to stop reading. You want your customers to contact you, buy something, sign up for an email list, etc. Make sure there’s a clear call to action on every page.
- Keep language simple. Avoid industry lingo that will confuse your customers.
For a consultation about website content or any other internet marketing topic, please click here or call 800-709-3240.